Dairy Free Scalloped Potatoes
These dairy free scalloped potatoes are so rich and creamy! Perfect for the holidays you will love that they are also gluten free, vegan, paleo and Whole30!
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 3-4mm thin slices
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil (plus a little more for greasing the casserole dish)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (use a white or yellow onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable stock (or sub with chicken stock or bone broth)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
Preheat your oven to 400F.
Peel and slice the potatoes and set them aside.
Grease the baking dish and add half the sliced potatoes to the dish, trying to make an even layer.
Place a large pan on the stove on medium heat and add the coconut oil. Once it's melted add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent.
Add the nutritional yeast and stir everything well to combine.
Add the remaining ingredients (except for the almond flour) and stir everything well to combine. Turn down the heat and let it cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the almond flour and cook for another few minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
Pour half of the sauce over the potatoes in the baking dish, then add the remaining potatoes to the dish and top with the remaining sauce. Cover the baking dish in tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are golden.
Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Try and slice the potatoes evenly so that they cook evenly.
- If you can't have coconut milk I suggest using cashew milk instead.
- Feel free to add other spices such as paprika, parsley or thyme to give this dish a slightly different flavour.
- These potatoes make great leftovers and store well in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Sodium: 425mg | Potassium: 909mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 4mg