Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
This pumpkin and sweet potato soup is so delicious! Creamy and rich with hints of cinnamon and spice you will love how easy it is to make. It's also Whole30 and vegan!
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 750 grams sweet potato (I used one large sweet potato)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- sea salt (to coat the sweet potato)
- ground black pepper (to coat the sweet potato)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
Preheat your oven to 400F.
Wash and dry both the pumpkin and sweet potato. Cut the sweet potato in half and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Coat each half of the sweet potato with 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Place the halves on the baking sheet with the sweet potato.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Once the sweet potato and pumpkin are done baking, add the coconut oil to a large pot on the stove on medium heat and let it melt. Then add the chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until it's transluscent.
Chop the roasted sweet potato and pumpkin (I leave the skins on) and transfer it to the pot with the onion.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir everything well to combine. Place the lid on the pot, turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Let the soup cool for a few minutes, and then using your immersion blender, blend the soup until it's smooth.
Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to use another type of squash such as red curry or kabocha.
- You can use any color of sweet potato or yam for this soup.
- I prefer to leave the skins on both the yam and the pumpkin when I add them to the soup, but feel free to remove them if you like (once they are blended you can't tell they are there).
- This soup makes great leftovers and keeps well in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Calories: 218kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 813mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 23942IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3mg