Guess what friends? It’s time for another cookbook review! I know I just have way too many talented friends. Today’s review is for Down South Paleo by Jennifer Robins. Now I am sure you already know Jennifer from her blog Predominantly Paleo. You may also know her as the “yuca queen.” Because she is. Seriously she can turn yuca into just about anything. Just head to her blog to find out.
But first let me tell you about her new cookbook. Down South Paleo is a book dedicated to your favourite southern foods. Think soul food, Tex-Mex, cajun and creole, home cookin’ and Gulf seafood. But unlike traditional southern cooking, all the recipes in the book are grain, dairy, refined sugar, and processed ingredient free. What does that mean? Simply put, this food is good for you!
Jennifer turned to the paleo diet years ago to help with her own health problems and she has had remarkable results. The only downside? She was no longer able to enjoy some of the traditional southern food she grew up with. So she came up with Down South Paleo. Now, I am definitely not a southern girl, but as someone who has spent time in Louisiana and Texas I have had my fair share of southern eats. And let me just say that Jennifer has outdone herself in re-creating these recipes. Now, I can’t possibly list all the recipes in this book, but some of the highlights, and recipes that I can’t wait to try include:
- Paleo Pecan Waffles
- Corned Beef Hash with Brown Gravy
- Taqueria Breakfast Burrito
- Fried Eggs Benedict + “Cornbread” Waffles
- Coconut Pancakes with Peach Compote
- Grandma’s Grain Free Biscuits + Sausage Gravy
- Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake
- Mama’s Fried Chicken
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies
- Mississippi Fried Catfish + Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Sweet and Savory Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Gringo’s Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
- Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles
- Hill Country BBQ Meatballs
- Down Home Chicken and Dumplings
- JBR’s Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
- Crawfish Etoufee
- New Orleans Jambalaya
- Cajun Crab Fried “Rice”
- Gulf Coast Crab Chowder with Bacon + Chives
- Crispy Beef Tacos
- Paleo Chicken Chimichangas
- Deep South Grain Free Grits
- Tex Mex Taco Salad + Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Lemon Pepper Fried Okra
- Deep South Fried Pickles
- Nut Free Biscuits + Dairy Free Butter
- Grain Free Apple Crisp
- Emerald Coast Key Lime Pie + Coconut Whipped Cream
- Paleo Blondies
- Churro Doughnut Holes
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
Wow that’s quite the list. I bet your mouth is watering now isn’t it? And that’s only about half the recipes in this book.
Some of my other favourite features of this book include:
- Each recipe is labelled according to its dietary specifications including whether it’s dairy free, egg free, nut free, grain free, soy free or nightshade free
- The extremely helpful Frequently Asked Questions Section at the back of the book
- Jennifer’s Basic Yuca Dough Recipes section that teaches you how to make everything yuca (since Jennifer is the yuca queen and all)
- How easy all the recipes are to make. The straight forward instructions and un-complicated ingredient lists make almost every recipe possible with the items you already have in your pantry
But what good would a cookbook review be if I didn’t share a recipe from the book? So today you are getting a sneak peak of the Texas Slow Cooker Beef Chili. And if the pictures don’t have you convinced, just trust me that this Chili is tasty. I made a double batch on the weekend and have been eating it all week. There is just the right combination of flavour and spice in this one. And it makes great left overs, which is a must in my house.
As someone who owns a whole cupboard full of paleo cookbooks, I can honestly say that there is no other book like Down South Paleo out there. Even the most die hard southern foodies will be fooled by these recipes. They are just that good! So don’t give up on your favourite southern dishes, just make them healthier! Down South Paleo has made that possible.
You can get your own copy of Down South Paleo here.
Until next time, happy eating everyone!
Texas Slow Cooker Beef Chili from Down South Paleo
- 1 lb grass-fed organic beef
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, chopped small
- 26 oz finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce Omit for Whole 30
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 pinch cumin
- dairy Free sour cream Optional
- diced onions Optional
Place the ground beef in a medium-size skillet over high heat and brown, stirring, until no longer pink.
Spoon it into your slow cooker, including the fat. Now place the green bell pepper, onion, carrots and tomatoes into the slow cooker.
Stir all the ingredients well, then add the remaining spices and seasonings. Stir once more, cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
Top with dairy free sour cream if desired or additional diced onions.
Serve and enjoy!