Ice cream. Has that word caught your attention? I hope so. Because ice cream is the theme of the day. I hope that makes you as excited as it makes me!
When I initially switched to the paleo diet five years ago (ps. has it really been that long??) I thought my ice cream eating days were over for good. Especially since I don't eat eggs. It's almost impossible to find dairy free, egg free ice cream recipes out there. Go try. I dare you.
But then I discovered the magic that is grassfed gelatin. Because of this amazing ingredient ice cream has come back into my life. And that is a huge bonus if you ask me. I for one love ice cream, and always have. It's just one of those foods that makes you feel good. Am I right? I can pretty much guarantee that you will never hear anyone say they hate ice cream. And if they do they are lying. At least that's what I believe.
Growing up my favourite flavour of ice cream was bubblegum. True fact. The thought of that bright blue, artificially dyed and filled with sugar laden gum dessert now makes me cringe. These days, the only word I think of when I see that stuff is gross. But hey, when you are little you just can't help being attracted to those bright colours and addicting refined sugar. Am I right?
And while my craving for ice cream hasn't changed, my knowledge about nutrition, and taste preferences sure have. So this Paleo Vanilla Ice Cream is made with healthy, nourishing ingredients like full fat coconut milk, grassfed gelatin, and is only sweetened with bananas. Yep no added sugars in this dessert friends (although I have included an optional honey variation). Just because you aren't eating sugar doesn't mean you have to skip dessert! No way. Not on my watch anyways.
This recipe is also compatible with the SCD and GAPS diets and doesn't require an ice cream maker. I bet you already have all the tools needed to make this treat. As well, since so many of you don't tolerate nuts this one is completely nut free. The only diets this doesn't work for are the AIP and Whole30 protocols. Sorry guys.
Alright, now I know you don't come here to listen to me ramble so I will get to what you really want: the recipe! And as always I would be thrilled if you followed my social media pages on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
Paleo Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 ripe bananas, broken into pieces
- 1 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2/3 cup coconut manna or butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey Optional: if you want it to be a little sweeter
- 2 tablespoon collagen peptides
- Place a medium pot on the stove on low heat.
- Add all the ingredients, except the gelatin, into the pot.
- Allow the ingredients to warm and melt together, stirring with a spoon once melted.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes or so.
- Turn the heat off, and using your immersion blender, blend the ingredients until smooth.
- Add the gelatin and stir well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Place the bowl in the fridge and let it sit overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and let sit for 15-20 minutes to soften.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply