Nourishing Traditions outlines the many health benefits of gelatin and I now routinely tell people to incorporate this superfood into their diet.
The health benefits of gelatin include:
- It provides an easily utilized source of collagen which is important for skin elasticity and texture
- It helps support bone and joint function and recovery from injury due to its effects on cartilage
- It aids in digestion and helps support the gut lining
- The glycine in gelatin can help fight inflammation and improve sleep
- It helps promote healthy nails, skin and hair growth due to the keratin content
- Is an easily digestible protein source that contains 18 amino acids (and 6 grams of protein per tablespoon)
There are many ways to add more gelatin to your diet. Some of the most simple include:
- Drinking bone broth made with the bones from grassfed animals (make your own or buy it here)
- Adding powdered gelatin to coffee, smoothies or other drinks
- Adding powdered gelatin to your recipes including soups, stews, sauces and dips
- Adding powdered gelatin to your paleo friendly oatmeal
- Making recipes that specifically incorporate gelatin (I have collected 50 for you below)
I also want to emphasize that the quality of the gelatin that you use is very important. Always make your bone broth with bones from grassfed animals and buy only grassfed powdered gelatin. I recommend the Great Lakes brand which can be found here or here.
And to make incorporating gelatin into your recipes that much easier I have collected 50 recipes that all use gelatin! Yep 50 ways to add this superfood to your diet. I would love to know which of these recipes you try and which are your favourite. Simply click on the title of the recipe to be taken to its original source.
Happy eating everyone!
Puddings and Mousse
5 Minute Healing Pumpkin Pudding from Grass Fed Girl
Cranberry Mint Mousse from Happy Health Nut
Dairy Free Mango Gelatin from The Real Food Guide
Pancakes and Cookies
Paleo Banana Pancakes from Paleo Gone Sassy
Strawberries and Cream Tart from Delicious Obsessions
Pistachio and Fig Panna Cotta from Cinnamon Eats
Peppermint Marshmallows from The Urban Poser
Summer Strawberry Pie with Shortbread Crust from Zen Belly
Mini Pumpkin Pie from The Real Food Guide
Coconut Tulsi Ice Cream from Delicious Obsessions
Dark Cherry Cacao Kiss Smoothie from Divine Health from the Inside Out
Paleo Egg McMuffins from Paleo Gone Sassy
So have I convinced you to starting including gelatin in your diet? If you need even more convincing here are a few other articles you should read:
4. The Healing Powers of Gelatin from Wolf Pack Lovin
Have a great weekend everyone! I hope it will included some delicious food!
And as always please feel free to contact me at any time with questions or comments