So I can’t take total credit for this recipe. My friend Alanna always raves about Bacon Wrapped Dates. Seriously they come up in conversation a lot. However, I don’t tolerate dried fruit very well, including dates, so I wanted to come up with my own “Erin Friendly” version and this is what resulted. They are good. Like really good. But isn’t everything that involves bacon? I mean really. It’s addicting stuff.
I do recommend getting bacon made from free range pigs fed without antibiotics or hormones and made without nitrates or sugar. I get mine at my local Community Natural Foods. Yes it is a lot more expensive than traditional grocery store bacon, but in my opinion the extra cost is well worth it! Not just for your own health but for the health and wellbeing of the animals. Happy animals equals happy meat.
I can’t believe the weekend is almost over. Boo! I have more night shifts this week. Another boo! My inner clock has definitely been confused these last few weeks with all the random night shifts I have had. My poor adrenal glands have no idea what to do with themselves I am sure!
Ok enough of my whining. I know you don’t come here to listen to me complain. You come here to eat! So let’s do that….
Bacon Wrapped Pecan Apples
- 1 package nitrate-free bacon mine had 12 slices in it
- 2 organic apples of choice I used fuji
- ground cinnamon
- pecan butter preferably homemade with soaked and dehydrated pecans, or almond butter or any other nut butter would also do
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Peel your apples and cut into slices (each apple should yield 6 pieces)
- Sprinkle cinnamon onto apple slices
- Cover one side of each apple slice with pecan butter
- Wrap pecan butter covered apple slices with bacon slices and secure with toothpick
- Place on baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until bacon is desired crispness (my bacon was fairly thick so I cooked mine for 40 minutes)
- Take out of oven, let cool for a few minutes and enjoy! Try not to eat the whole batch!
These are super easy to make! But be warned they disappear quickly!
Well I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Let me know what you think of these. Will you try them??