These are the best air fryer carrots. They are so easy to make in less than 30 minutes, and I've included sweet and savoury options that are made with simple pantry staple ingredients. These roasted carrots make a delicious, healthy side dish that's perfect anytime.
Why you will love this recipe:
- Making carrots in an air fryer is so easy! It takes less than 30 minutes to roast the carrots perfectly.
- Whether you like sweet or savoury carrots I've included recipes for both! The sweet version has cinnamon and just a little sugar, while the savoury version is salty with hints of spice from black pepper.
- I've included an optional lemon dill dressing recipe for you to enjoy with these air fried carrots that takes the taste to the next level!
- This recipe uses very little oil, is low in calories, healthy, and tastes amazing!
- Because these carrots are so fast and easy to make they are perfect for meal prep or those busy weeknight meals
- When carrots are cooked in the air fryer they turn out perfectly roasted, with the best crisp texture.
- This is a healthy side dish that also makes great leftovers.
- This carrot recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- If you love roasted carrots you will also love roasted carrots and parsnips.
Taste and texture:
Whether you prefer sweet carrots or savoury carrots, I've included delicious options for both. The lemon dill dressing makes the savoury carrots taste even better. When cooked in the air fryer carrots turn out nice and crispy, never soggy or mushy.
Key ingredients and substitutions:
- Fresh carrots - the star of the show for this recipe, carrots are one of my favourite root vegetables that are healthy and full of beneficial vitamins and minerals. You can use any type of carrots that you like including baby carrots, rainbow carrots or tri colour carrots.
- Avocado oil or coconut oil - I've tested the recipe with both and either work! You could also use olive oil. These help make the carrots nice and crisp when you cook them. I don't recommend trying to make these carrots with no oil.
- For the sweet carrots: ground cinnamon and coconut sugar - you could also use brown sugar or maple sugar instead, whatever you have in your pantry. If you use maple syrup they will turn out more glazed looking.
- For the savoury carrots: ground black pepper to add just a little spice to the carrots.
How to cook:
To make the sweet carrots:
First, peel and slice the carrots into ~1 inch sized slices or rounds.
Next put the sliced carrots into a bowl and add the other ingredients. Stir well until the carrots are coated evenly in the cinnamon sugar mix.
Transfer the coated carrots to the tray or basket of your air fryer. Turn your air fryer on to 380 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the carrots for 20-25 minutes, stirring the carrots once to ensure the sides cook evenly. Cook the carrots until they have the texture that you like.
To make the savoury carrots:
Peel the carrots and cut them in half, and then cut the larger half in half again length wise so that the pieces are all around the same size (they will look like sticks - see the photo below for reference).
Transfer the cut carrots to a bowl and add the oil and seasonings, stirring well until the carrots are coated evenly.
Transfer the carrots to the tray or basket of your air fryer. Turn the air fryer on to 380 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the carrots are the texture you desire.
Top the cooked carrots with the optional lemon dill dressing or serve plain. Which ever you prefer!
- If you have a larger air fryer like the one I use, you can easily double these recipes and make 2 lbs of carrots.
- The optional lemon dill dressing makes a thick dressing or dip. If you prefer a thinner version, add a little water before blending.
- Note that the sweet carrots recipe is not Whole30 compliant, but the savoury carrots and the dressing are. Both recipes are gluten free, vegan and paleo.
- These carrots can be eaten as a side dish, or for a snack.
Variations and add ins:
- Feel free to add other spices to the carrots. Ground nutmeg or ginger would be great on the sweet version, while onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, turmeric or chili powder would kick the savoury carrots up a notch and make them a little spicy!
- You can use pretty much any oil you wish to make these carrots. My favourites are coconut oil (melted) and avocado oil.
- For the sweet carrots, instead of coconut sugar I have tried brown sugar and maple syrup and both work well. Honey is also another option.
How to store:
Store any leftover roasted carrots in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
One serving of the sweet carrots recipe has approximately 70 calories, 0.5 grams of fat, 1 gram of protein, 16 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber and 13 grams of net carbs. This recipe would be considered low calorie, but it is not low carb or keto.
Frequently asked questions:
Yes! Both of these recipes are vegan. Feel free to swap the avocado oil and coconut oil for other vegan friendly oils such as vegan butter.
The savoury carrots recipe is already Whole30 compliant. To make the sweet carrots compliant you would need to omit the sugar.
Yes! Both the sweet and savoury versions are paleo!
I do not recommend trying to make these carrots with no oil. The little bit of oil that is used helps makes the carrots crispy, rather than soggy when they cook.
For this recipe you do not need to preheat your air fryer. If you do preheat it, subtract a few minutes of cooking time from the recipe.
No, for this recipe I recommend using fresh carrots.
Other recipes you will love:
- Healthy Sloppy Joes
- Air Fryer Ribs
- Spaghetti Squash in the Air Fryer
- Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Easy Asian Coleslaw
- Dairy Free Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Since you made it this far we are basically best friends so be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok and Facebook where I share even more recipes and healthy living tips! And don’t forget to leave this recipe a star review before you go!
Air Fryer Carrots
Sweet Carrots Ingredients
Savoury Carrots Ingredients
Sweet Carrot Instructions
- Peel and cut the carrots into ~1" sized pieces.
- Place the cut carrots in a bowl and add the other ingredients. Stir well until the carrots are coated evenly.
- Transfer the carrots to the tray of your air fryer. Turn your air fryer on to 380F and cook the carrots for 20-25 minutes, stirring the carrots once to ensure the sides cook evenly, until cooked to the consistency that you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
Savoury Carrot Instructions
- Peel the carrots and cut them in half, and then cut the larger half in half again length wise so that the pieces are all around the same size.
- Transfer the carrots to a bowl and add the oil and spices, stirring well until coated evenly.
- Transfer the carrots to the tray of your air fryer. Turn the air fryer on to 380F and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the carrots are the texture you desire.
- Top with the optional lemon dill dressing or serve plain.
Lemon Dill Dressing Instructions
- Place all the ingredients into your Vitamix or food processor.
- Blend well until smooth.
- The nutrition calculator takes into account the ingredients for both recipes plus the dressing so they will not be accurate.
- Feel free to swap avocado oil for coconut oil.
- Coconut sugar can be swapped with maple sugar or maple syrup.
- If you like a thinner dressing, add a bit of water to the lemon dill dressing ingredients before blending.