Happy weekend everyone! Are you up to any big adventures? I hope so! I am doing homework pretty much all weekend so it's pretty unexciting over here… but it could be worse… I could actually be at the hospital. At least this way I get to feed my Pinterest addiction and do some cooking/ baking on the side. A weekend just wouldn't be complete without some yummy food being created in the kitchen. Agreed?
Speaking of Pinterest, do you guys use it? Are you as addicted as I am? Are you following me on there? I sure hope so! If not here is the link.
Now some of you may have already seen my Chocolate Raspberry "Ice Cream" recipe. This one is similar with a few changes. I took out the cacao butter since I know many of you don't keep this in your pantry. I added some coconut oil and some blueberries and I have to say I actually like this version even more! The coconut oil makes the texture just a little smoother and I pretty much love anything with blueberries so they are just an added bonus. Plus they are filled with anti-oxidants, and the farmers markets are overflowing with them right now.
In 6 days I will be off to the Okanagan again for vacation! I can't wait! And Erik gets to come with me this time which is even more exciting. I am sure we will spend many hours in the sun, soaking up all the natural vitamin D that we can get. It will be glorious.
I am already thinking about all the yummy food we will eat while we are there. The food in the Okanagan is amazing since everything is so fresh. My parents garden is overflowing with fresh vegetables and fruit that I can't wait to get my hands on!
This will be my last vacation before I have to buckle down and start studying for my internal medicine board exams that I write next year. Yes next year. That means 10 months of full time studying. I am not looking forward to it friends. I am dreading it actually. It's another one of those "rights of passage" in medicine. Kind of like the MCATS and 24 hour call shifts. Oh the things we do for this profession. But I won't get into my medicine rant right now. I will spare you this time. Instead I will leave you with this delicious ice cream recipe.
3 ripe bananas (should have black spots)
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
1/2 cup coconut butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 TBSP organic vanilla extract
4 TBSP organic cocoa powder
pinch sea salt
1 TBSP + 1 tsp Great Lakes grassfed gelatin
1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Place a medium-large saucepan on the stove on low heat
2. Add the bananas (break them up as you add them), raspberries, coconut butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract to the pot and allow to heat for a few minutes, stirring every so often to break up the banana chunks
3. Continue to heat and stir until you have a smooth consistency (you may have to break apart some of the bananas with a fork, but having this perfectly smooth isn't necessary)
4. Add the cocoa powder and sea salt and stir well to combine
5. Add the grassfed gelatin and stir until the gelatin dissolves
6. Remove the pot from the heat and gently stir in the fresh blueberries
7. Transfer the entire mixture to a large freezer safe bowl, and place in the freezer for 60-90 minutes stirring every 20-30 minutes until you have the texture you desire
8. Remove from freezer, serve and enjoy!
NOTE: This keeps really well in the fridge if you don't eat it all right away.
Yields: 4-8 servings (depending on size)
*** Pin This Post For Later ***