I have to admit I forgot about this recipe! I actually made this one months ago but it has been sitting in the archives collecting dust. Sad I know.
So since I made my last announcement that I have finished my internal medicine rotations I have made it out to the Okanagan Valley for a well deserved vacation. If you are looking for me over the next two weeks I will be beside the pool with a book, working on my tan. There is nothing that makes me happier than laying in the sunshine with a great read. It is no secret that I love reading, and unfortunately during most of the year I don't have a lot of extra time for it. I make up for that on vacation let me tell you! Have you read anything good lately? I would love to get some book suggestions.
Now I happen to love lemon flavour desserts, but I know that a lot of people don't. It seems to be that way with lemon desserts; you either love them or hate them, there is no in between. So if you are one of the haters I apologize in advance because this one is not for you. But for everyone else keep reading and enjoy! These Paleo Chocolate Lemon Squares have been taste tested and approved by my non-paleo mother so hopefully you will like them too!
I recommend making this one the night before you need it, as letting it sit in the fridge overnight leads to the best texture.
Lemon Crust Ingredients
1 1/2 cups blanced almond flour
1 cup coconut flour (I like this one)
2/3 cup coconut oil (I recommend this one)
1/3 cup grassfed butter or ghee (I use this kind)
1/3 cup organic honey (find it here)
1 tsp lemon extract (I use this brand)
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
pinch sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
Optional: 2 eggs (this will hold the crust together but are not necessary if you don't tolerate eggs)
Lemon Crust Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a large glass bowl add the coconut oil and butter and microwave for 45-60 seconds to melt the oils
3. Add the remaining crust ingredients to the bowl and blend well with a pastry blender
4. Line an 8x8 glass baking dish with parchment paper
5. Pour crust ingredients onto parchment paper and press down well until you have an even layer
6. Cook for 15-17 minutes at 350F, until edges are golden brown
7. Remove from oven (but don't turn it off)
Chocolate Layer Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut butter (or manna, or concentrate) (Find it here)
1/4 cup coconut oil (I like this kind)
3 TBSP organic honey (like this one)
3 TBSP organic cocoa powder (like this one)
1 tsp organic vanilla extract (I use this type)
1 TBSP + 1 tsp coconut flour (I use this brand)
Chocolate Layer Directions
** Note: Make this while your lemon crust is cooking**
1. Place a small sauce pan on low heat on the stove
2. Place all ingredients except for the coconut flour into the pan and allow to melt, and stir to combine
3. Remove the pan from the heat and add the coconut flour, stir until dissolved
4. Pour onto lemon crust and spread with a knife to form an even layer (this is a thin layer)
5. Place back in oven and cook for another 10 minutes
5. Remove from oven and place the entire square into the fridge and allow to cool overnight
6. Remove from fridge, let sit for 10-15 minutes cut, serve and enjoy!
NOTE: Allowing these to sit in the fridge overnight makes the lemon crust less crumbly as it reabsorbs moisture as it sits