So it's no secret that I love squash. I know I have mentioned it a few times on the blog already but I don't think I have posted any recipes with it yet! That must change. Starting now.
This recipe can be used as a side dish and is especially good with salmon or pork (in my personal opinion). Or if you are like me you can eat it plain right out of the bowl. Yep I do that.
Butternut Squash and Apple Puree (SCD, GAPS, Paleo)
1 medium-large butternut squash (or 2 small ones)
2 apples of choice (I used one Gala and one Golden Delicious since that's what I had on hand)
1 medium onion
2 TBSP ghee, butter or coconut oil
2 tsp cinnamon
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel squash, cut in half and de-seed. Then chop into cubes (or you can buy already cubed squash at Costco)
2. Place frying pan on medium heat, add fat of choice and let melt
3. Add squash to frying pan and start to cook
4. While squash is cooking peel your apples and chop into small cubes
5. Stir squash every few minutes to prevent sticking and once it is slightly soft add your apples
6. Cook apples and squash for a few minutes until apples start to soften
7. Chop onion while apples and squash are cooking, and add to pan once apples are slightly soft
8. Add cinnamon, salt and pepper to ingredients and stir every few minutes
9. Once onions are clear remove pan from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes
10. Blend entire mixture together with a Immersion Blender or in your food processor to your desired consistency (I like it well pureed personally)
11. Enjoy in whatever form you choose!
Here is what it looks like before you puree the ingredients (and yes it tastes good like this too!)
Well I hope everyone is having a good weekend! Stay warm everyone. I am watching the snow fall outside my window as we speak (it is the end of April is it not?? Ridiculous weather)
As always feel free to contact me with any questions!