1. The last time a law was passed regulating the personal care industry in the United States was in 1938 (Yes that is almost 100 years ago!).
2. The laws in the US do not provide the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with the power to ask cosmetic companies for safety data or to issue recalls of cosmetics found to be unsafe. In other words, the FDA really has no power to regulate the skincare industry at all, which means that you really can’t trust “FDA approved” products.
3. Only 20% of the skincare ingredients that are used today have actually been tested for safety.
8. There are no regulations for using the terms “natural,” “organic,” or “botanical” on product labels.
9. Many chemicals used in the skincare industry can cause hormone imbalances, and these ingredients are often not listed on labels. Phthalates and parabens are some of the most common hormone disrupting ingredients, and they are also linked to cancers as well as birth defects and infertility.
10. Ingredients that are known to cause cancer, neurological problems, behavioral problems, allergies, and infertility are all allowed in products marketed to children and babies.
11. The rates of cancer continue to rise, and it’s known that 1 in 5 skincare and beauty products on the market contain ingredients that are linked to cancer.
Aren’t those facts horrifying? When I first learned about those statistics I wanted to be sick. We are basically being used as one giant science experiment. It’s no wonder we are becoming sicker and sicker as a society. The rates of obesity, diabetes, asthma, allergies, cancers, skin conditions, autoimmune diseases etc. continue to rise each day. And our genetics cannot explain it. This increased prevalence of disease is all due to environmental exposures, with our skincare and beauty products being just one piece of that puzzle. And while we can’t control many of the things we are exposed to on a daily basis, you can control what you are putting on your body. So why not choose brands that only use ingredients that are known to be safe? I personally have switched all of my skincare and beauty products to safer brands. It took some time, but over the past year I have rid my bathroom of all my old toxin containing products. So far, the best brands that I have discovered, and that I personally use include Beautycounter, Om Organics, Primally Pure and Neal’s Yard Remedies.
Pin This Post For Later: