Hi friends! How was your week? Amazing I hope. I spent most of mine at the Canadian Rheumatology Association annual meeting in Lake Louise. I know life is rough isn’t it? Getting to stay for free at the Fairmont Lake Louise is really a sacrifice. If you remember, I was just here a few weeks ago for a friend’s wedding so I am pretty lucky to get to come twice in one year. Not something I normally get to do (or can afford) that’s for sure. Before this year I had actually never been here before. The minimum $400 per night room charge (isn’t that nuts??) is definitely a prohibiting factor.
The weather during the conference was amazing so I managed to hike around the lake, go snow shoeing, go ice skating and even get to the gym a couple times. But don’t worry it wasn’t all fun and games. I did have to do some learning, and present a poster while I was there as well so you only have to be a little jealous. I learned some really interesting things about lupus, IgG4 disease, scleroderma and pregnancy related rheumatic diseases. Does it sound like I’m speaking a foreign language yet? Don’t worry, that’s all the medicine talk you will get from me this post.
Yes I went a little photo crazy on some of my adventures. But it’s just so pretty in the mountains! I really should make an effort to come out here more often. The fresh mountain air is just good for the soul. Yes, that’s a fact my friends. I live so close I really have no excuse not to come more often. But, I also know you don’t come here for pictures of mountains and my pretty face (joking guys) so let’s get to this week’s recipe shall we? I made this Slightly Sweet Grain Free Granola a few weeks ago and have been snacking on it ever since. I think Erik’s exact words for this recipe were “I can’t stop stuffing my face with this stuff.” So yes friends, it’s good! And the best part? There is no added sweetener in this recipe. It is sweetened with dates, banana and some raisins. That’s it. There are also no nuts in this one either since I know many of you don’t tolerate them. Plus this granola works with the paleo diet, SCD diet, GAPS diet and vegan or vegetarian diets. I hope you love it!
Happy eating everyone!
Slightly Sweet Grain Free Granola Recipe
1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds (preferably soaked and dehydrated first)
1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds (preferably soaked and dehydrated first)
1 cup raisins
15 dates, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
1 ripe banana
1. Preheat your oven to 325F
2. In a a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon
3. In your food processor combine the ripe banana and the dates. Blend well (if there are some chunks remaining that is fine)
4. Transfer the ingredients from the food processor to the bowl and mix well with a spoon
5. Add the remaining wet ingredients and stir well to combine
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
7. Transfer the granola mixture to the baking sheet and spread well with a spoon
8. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes
9. Remove from the oven, stir and bake for an additional 10-14 minutes (until starting to brown)
10. Remove from the oven and let the granola cool completely
11. Serve and enjoy!
*** Pin This Recipe For Later ***